Things I'm Not Doing This Holiday (and Not Feeling Bad About)
Wow, I can't believe it's only a few days until Christmas! And I know I'm not the only one who has plans to be superwoman...this time of year especially...and had those plans fall short. There's so much I'd love to do...and only so many hours in the day, and this year being pregnant (yay!)...between not sleeping well and nausea (yes, I'm trying to go off Zofran YET AGAIN), I don't have my usual energy/motivation. Here's a list of things I would love to be doing/have done for the holiday that are just not happening:
- Strings and strings of white lights on our fence outside...so festive
- A Christmas tree...we alternate each year between a real one (love, love, love the smell) and a tinsely fake white one that's so tacky it's cool. Neither got put up this year
- Baking. In my dream life I am a fabulous baker like Bodega Bliss...in reality everything I make seems to come out kind of misshapen and ugly...tastes good, though, and I have fun making it. My husband calls it "baking with love" ("...with love" being our code phrase for something homemade that doesn't come out perfectly)
- Wrapping presents in some fancy creative way, like over here at Cretaure Comforts (loving the black-and-white cloth ribbon...)...instead this year it's easy (but still cute) store-bought paper and generic bows
- Would have loved to do more in the way of cards/little gifts/etc. for friends, but that's just not happening this year
- And would have liked to have used the Christmas plates and mugs I've had forever (like the ones here), but we never unpacked them
- And listened to Christmas music (this is my favorite album)
- And watched some Christmas movies (like Elf. And Love, Actually)
There are things I've made a effort on, though:
- A nice gift or two for everyone in my family
- Something homemade for both of my parents
- We're going over to my brother's up in the mountains so we can all spend the holiday together (and in snow...it's snowing right now...so excited!) So lots of time and love and attention given to the people I care about the most
- And I am staying calm, rested and relaxed for these babies, instead of running around frantically trying to make things perfect and ending up exhausted
Leaving tomorrow morning for a long weekend and leaving my computer at home...so this is it from me until I return next Tuesday.
Merry Xmas to those of you who celebrate! :)
Thanks for spending some time here this week.
Image credit: deanworks via Etsy.